Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

So was it an accident?
#1

Bodies Of Missing Tots Found


<LI>Discovered In Sewage Reservoir Near Their Home
<LI>Brother, Sister Were Last Seen Saturday

Apr 25, 2005 7:00 pm US/Eastern
WARRENTON, GA
(CBS) Authorities say the bodies of two missing Georgia toddlers have been found in an algae-covered sewage reservoir a few hundred yards from their home.

Two-year-old Nicole Payne and her three-year-old brother Jonah had been missing since Saturday. Investigators say it is unclear whether the youngsters were the victims of foul play, or whether they had wandered off from their home.

John Bankhead, a spokesman for the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, said the bodies were found just after noon in the pond, where sewage from the city is deposited. Bankhead said the pond is constantly covered with a thick algae film, making it almost impossible to see the toddlers' bodies.

In fact, Bankhead said investigators surveyed the reservoir Saturday, after the toddlers' disappearance, but they were not detected. Monday, "law enforcement saw a bump in the algae, and it was the body of the young girl," Bankhead said. Her brother's body was under the filmy green scum nearby.

The pond is part of the city's sanitation system. It is surrounded by a fence, but has several holes where a child could easily get through.

Bankhead said investigators have found no trace of foul play, but are continuing to examine the pond area for signs. Bankhead says autopsies will be performed tomorrow.

The parents are described as "broken up" over the news. The children's father identified their bodies from photographs, Bankhead said.

Authorities had said the girl needed a breathing machine on a daily basis, and that her brother was on medication for an unspecified condition.

Police Chief Jim McClain said the toddlers had a history of wandering off from their home. In fact, the girl had unlocked a door earlier Saturday.

The sewage pond is accessible from the home — according to Bankhead, "a road goes back behind the house and winds up down at the pond."

Warren County Sheriff Joe Peebles said the search has included the use of heat-seeking devices at night. Between 75 and 100 law enforcement officers were expected to be involved in the search Monday, along with divers searching a nearby lake.

The children's mother, Lottie Kain, said she discovered that the children were missing Saturday.

On Sunday, agents from the Georgia Bureau of Investigation questioned Kain. Authorities said more than one person was given a polygraph test. They would not comment on the tests.

"She said she came to the door and the front door was open," Warrenton Police Chief Jim McClain said. "The gate was open. She came outside and the children were gone."

Jay Jones, an attorney from Thomson, said the children's parents are engaged and live together. The parents attended a news conference Monday but did not make a statement.

While investigators questioned Kain, nearly 200 others kept up the search for the children. Neighbors say they are heartbroken, reports CBS Affiliate WRDW-TV in Augusta, Ga.

"I just can't imagine being the parent who's lost a 2- and 3-year-old," said Tami May, who had been helping with the search.

[Image: lg]

[Image: lg]

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.
Reply
#2

What stuck me as weird....the partents didnt seem that upset......

apple Wrote:Aww, but mich, its only a 22 year age difference, I'm still legal :broken:

Bill Wrote:The pool is frozen like Tom Foolery's Saturday night date's snatch.

pineschic Wrote:comon' over here big boy (Vita E).. I'll warm you right up. lol
Reply
#3

i would have had to been mildly sedated the minute they came up missing...and i would have been leading the search team...and i wouldn't have stopped until i found them.....seems kinda shady...

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.
Reply
#4

We lost a dog a couple years back. We looked for that fukker for weeks.
Reply
#5

VitaminE Wrote:We lost a dog a couple years back. We looked for that fukker for weeks.


yeah but "you" looked....

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.
Reply
#6

Fairiedust Wrote:yeah but "you" looked....
That's not cool. Don't assume the parents did not look just because the story didn't mention their exhaustive search. Come on. For now, let's keep a little faith and assume the parents innocent in this tragedy.

suzy Wrote:Seriously, I hope you like to be peed on.
Reply
#7

as stated....Police Chief Jim McClain said the toddlers had a history of wandering off from their home. In fact, the girl had unlocked a door earlier Saturday...


If that were the case wouldn't it make sense as a parent to take extra precautions of sercuring your home to keep you children from doing this?

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.
Reply
#8

Fairiedust Wrote:as stated....Police Chief Jim McClain said the toddlers had a history of wandering off from their home. In fact, the girl had unlocked a door earlier Saturday...


If that were the case wouldn't it make sense as a parent to take extra precautions of sercuring your home to keep you children from doing this?

My house is locked down tighter then fort knox....Little Bill shoulda been named Houdini
Reply
#9

also as per CNN

Warrenton Police Chief Jim McClain said Kain called 911 shortly before 6 p.m. Saturday and reported that the toddlers had disappeared from their home in Warrenton when she went to the bathroom for a few minutes.

Search teams -- both law enforcement and volunteer -- worked all night Saturday and most of Sunday before fatigue set in, and officials called a timeout. The search resumed Monday morning.

Georgia Bureau of Investigation officials told The Augusta Chronicle that they have not seen evidence to indicate anyone abducted the children. But Payne, Kain's fiance, told the paper he believed someone took them.


So i would still have to say this seems shady....not neccessarily the parents....but something seems really weird about it...

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.
Reply
#10

You're right. It was only the same day. Probably not the first time. The girl is what, 2? She's probably been unlocking doors for at least a year already.
Shame on the husband for not immediately rushing out to the hardward store to buy hammer and nails and bolt them all in.

Also, your quote about an unlocked door says nothing about whether or not the parents searched for the kids. You clearly have assumed the parents to be guilty. I'm not saying they are either, but that story proves nothing.

suzy Wrote:Seriously, I hope you like to be peed on.
Reply
#11

Fairiedust Wrote:yeah but "you" looked....

Of course we looked! Imagine my wife's embarassment if the humane society called about a dog matching Marley's discription and an ass full of semen!
Reply
#12

Dr. Lecter Wrote:You're right. It was only the same day. Probably not the first time. The girl is what, 2? She's probably been unlocking doors for at least a year already.
Shame on the husband for not immediately rushing out to the hardward store to buy hammer and nails and bolt them all in.

Also, your quote about an unlocked door says nothing about whether or not the parents searched for the kids. You clearly have assumed the parents to be guilty. I'm not saying they are either, but that story proves nothing.

PLEASE SEE POST ABOVE YOURS WHERE I SAID...

So i would still have to say this seems shady....not neccessarily the parents....but something seems really weird about it...
_____________________________________________________________

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.
Reply
#13

VitaminE Wrote:Of course we looked! Imagine my wife's embarassment if the humane society called about a dog matching Marley's discription and an ass full of semen!


:lool:

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.
Reply
#14

^^^^^^^^^^^^
you are obsessed with this shite
constant posts of this ilk
what's the deal??

I realise that I have a past to break with--an accumulation of inertia, wrong, foolishness, rot, junk.  A great need of clarification, of mindfulness, or rather, of no mind.  A need to return to genuine practice, right effort.  Need to push on the great doubt.  Need for the spirit.  Hang on to the clear light.
           
Thomas Merton


       
Reply
#15

Eh, shit happens. That's what you get for living in Georgia.

Shoot Straight . . . Conserve Ammo . . . And Never Ever Cut A Deal With A Dragon
Reply


Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by BIRD33
09-04-2007, 04:29 PM
Last Post by ntype
04-04-2007, 03:13 PM
Last Post by BIRD33
01-17-2006, 05:01 AM
Last Post by suzy
12-31-2005, 08:36 AM
Last Post by VitaminE
07-29-2005, 06:43 PM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)