01-29-2007, 08:06 PM
Seeing Shelden Williams when he's not in a basketball uniform provides a polar opposite image than what is seen when he is competing between the white lines.
![[Image: SHELDEN.JPG]](http://vmedia.rivals.com/IMAGES/Player/photo/SHELDEN.JPG)
Even though he was never a showy player, his court presence and style of play overflowed with intensity and competitive spirit, yet as Williams stood behind a podium Sunday night speaking to the fans at Cameron Indoor Stadium, he was far removed from that man who made the paint a place where Duke opponents often didn't dare venture.
The Landlord's jersey went to the rafters at halftime of Duke's win over Boston College, putting his number 23 right next to the 22 of another Blue Devil star named Williams.
Yet in his remarks, it was clear that Williams was uncomfortable with all of the arena's attention lavished on him.
He immediately redirected the adoration.
"I think I should be the one saying thank you," Williams said after a chant of 'Thank you Shelden!' swept through Cameron Indoor Stadium prior to his short speech. "It's kind of weird coming back here and not looking down at my chest and seeing Duke across my chest. This is always like a home to me and I'm very glad to be back. I thank you all. It was very easy to play in this gym just because of you all. Simply the atmosphere and the energy you all provided gave us the energy to play."
Duke's all time leading rebounder and shot blocker helped the Blue Devils to four straight great seasons, averaging 29 wins per season and winning a pair of ACC regular season championships to go along with three league tournament titles.
And while Shelden's speech won't go down in history like Lou Gehrig's speech at Yankee Stadium or Abraham Lincoln's Gettysburg Address, its sincerity and brevity warmed the hearts of every Duke fan in the building.
"I'm not one for big words or anything like that," Williams said. "Of course I want to thank God. I know I can do all things through Him who strengthens me, so I want to thank Him first and foremost."
"Lastly, keep being who you are."
Same to you big fella.
Even though he was never a showy player, his court presence and style of play overflowed with intensity and competitive spirit, yet as Williams stood behind a podium Sunday night speaking to the fans at Cameron Indoor Stadium, he was far removed from that man who made the paint a place where Duke opponents often didn't dare venture.
The Landlord's jersey went to the rafters at halftime of Duke's win over Boston College, putting his number 23 right next to the 22 of another Blue Devil star named Williams.
Yet in his remarks, it was clear that Williams was uncomfortable with all of the arena's attention lavished on him.
He immediately redirected the adoration.
"I think I should be the one saying thank you," Williams said after a chant of 'Thank you Shelden!' swept through Cameron Indoor Stadium prior to his short speech. "It's kind of weird coming back here and not looking down at my chest and seeing Duke across my chest. This is always like a home to me and I'm very glad to be back. I thank you all. It was very easy to play in this gym just because of you all. Simply the atmosphere and the energy you all provided gave us the energy to play."
Duke's all time leading rebounder and shot blocker helped the Blue Devils to four straight great seasons, averaging 29 wins per season and winning a pair of ACC regular season championships to go along with three league tournament titles.
And while Shelden's speech won't go down in history like Lou Gehrig's speech at Yankee Stadium or Abraham Lincoln's Gettysburg Address, its sincerity and brevity warmed the hearts of every Duke fan in the building.
"I'm not one for big words or anything like that," Williams said. "Of course I want to thank God. I know I can do all things through Him who strengthens me, so I want to thank Him first and foremost."
"Lastly, keep being who you are."
Same to you big fella.

