Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Heath Ledger wins Golden Globe

for best supporting actor. I'm torn on this. I saw the Dark Knight, and he did fantastically well, but would he have gotten this award if he were alive? I think in this category, the competition was weak.

Robert Downey Jr. in Tropic Thunder. He's a comedic actor. He played a comedic role. I'm not sure how hard it is to play a black guy when you are white, but I think it's fairly straightforward, right Bird?

Tom Cruise in Tropic Thunder - I'll admit I was amused by his performance. But, was it really that difficult for Cruise to play a foul mouthed, dancing geek? Perhaps anything besides cocky pompous ass (and an elementary chalk board) is a bit of a stretch for Cruise. Still, not all that noteworthy.

Ralph Fiennes in the Duchess. ZZZZZZ, he played his typical typecast character.

Phillip Seymour Hoffmann in Doubt - this is perhaps the only competition to Heath.

I don't think Ledger's performance was Oscar Worthy, but he may get a nod. It would be shocking if he won.

Insert clever, witty and amusing signature here.

Cucumber Wrote:for best supporting actor. I'm torn on this. I saw the Dark Knight, and he did fantastically well, but would he have gotten this award if he were alive? I think in this category, the competition was weak.

Robert Downey Jr. in Tropic Thunder. He's a comedic actor. He played a comedic role. I'm not sure how hard it is to play a black guy when you are white, but I think it's fairly straightforward, right Bird?

Tom Cruise in Tropic Thunder - I'll admit I was amused by his performance. But, was it really that difficult for Cruise to play a foul mouthed, dancing geek? Perhaps anything besides cocky pompous ass (and an elementary chalk board) is a bit of a stretch for Cruise. Still, not all that noteworthy.

Ralph Fiennes in the Duchess. ZZZZZZ, he played his typical typecast character.

Phillip Seymour Hoffmann in Doubt - this is perhaps the only competition to Heath.

I don't think Ledger's performance was Oscar Worthy, but he may get a nod. It would be shocking if he won.

As an african american and former black panther I have no idea how hard it was for Downey to play that role.

Of the people you listed nobody stands out as a lock for the Oscar so I think Ledger will get it as something like a lifetime achievement award.

Hollywood will do it to make themselves feel better.

See You In Toledo

BIRD33 Wrote:As an african american and former black panther I have no idea how hard it was for Downey to play that role.

Of the people you listed nobody stands out as a lock for the Oscar so I think Ledger will get it as something like a lifetime achievement award.

The Oscar noms haven't been announced yet. I doubt this will be Ledger's competetion (comedic film actors are rarely nominated). I don't even know if Ledger will be nominated.

Its been a weak year for movies so I think Ledger is definitely the favorite.They've been pumping up his oscar chances on this since before it came out.If he wasnt dead I'm not sure he gets nominated.

See You In Toledo

tom cruise was in tropic thunder?

Anhil8tor Wrote:tom cruise was in tropic thunder?

Uhm. Duh? He was the fuckity fuck, fat dancing producer guy.

I hope Tom Cruise is done as a major star.That nazi movie looked terrible.I read a piece where it called him the most unlikable star that was bankable of the last 30 years and I agree with that.

See You In Toledo

Cucumber Wrote:Uhm. Duh? He was the fuckity fuck, fat dancing producer guy.

I have never saw tropic thunder. I am not a stiller fan.

Do they bury the award with him?

See You In Toledo

BIRD33 Wrote:As an african american and former black panther I have no idea how hard it was for Downey to play that role.

black panther??

:loool:

that's gotta be the funniest thing ever written on any forum

since the beginning of time

HOF

I realise that I have a past to break with--an accumulation of inertia, wrong, foolishness, rot, junk.  A great need of clarification, of mindfulness, or rather, of no mind.  A need to return to genuine practice, right effort.  Need to push on the great doubt.  Need for the spirit.  Hang on to the clear light.

Thomas Merton

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by PinesChic
01-30-2009, 07:14 AM
Last Post by Devious
11-05-2008, 06:27 AM
Last Post by BIRD33
01-24-2008, 08:17 PM