Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The Election part whatever.

This is gonna be more directed at Bird, Flump and Snarg but feel free to add your own thoughts.

What are ya'lls views on voting Libertarian? I mean It's looking like McCain hasn't got a chance, and I can't bring myself to vote for Obama. Simply because if I did it would only be because of Biden, who I like. But I'm thinking why not give the 3rd party a boost. If the libertarians could garnish enough votes this election they could win a seat at the national debates next time around which I think would be good for the system. (having a 3rd choice out there).

Thoughts?

libertarian view is better than either major party

I realise that I have a past to break with--an accumulation of inertia, wrong, foolishness, rot, junk.  A great need of clarification, of mindfulness, or rather, of no mind.  A need to return to genuine practice, right effort.  Need to push on the great doubt.  Need for the spirit.  Hang on to the clear light.

Thomas Merton

snarg Wrote:libertarian view is better than either major party

I agree, hands down.

Bill Wrote:This is gonna be more directed at Bird, Flump and Snarg but feel free to add your own thoughts.

What are ya'lls views on voting Libertarian? I mean It's looking like McCain hasn't got a chance, and I can't bring myself to vote for Obama. Simply because if I did it would only be because of Biden, who I like. But I'm thinking why not give the 3rd party a boost. If the libertarians could garnish enough votes this election they could win a seat at the national debates next time around which I think would be good for the system. (having a 3rd choice out there).

Thoughts?

Whats your problem with Obama?

I think having a seat at the debates won't matter with out a candidate that could stir major interest like Perot did.If I remember correctly he kind of forced his way into the debate without any voting rules granting his party a seat because he was looking like a serious candidate.So to answer your question I say voting for something is better than nothing most times but with out a transcendent candidate the libertarian party has no chance regardless if you vote for them or not.

See You In Toledo

The two party system will never be replaced. They both adapt and change as the issues change. Voting a third party is basically just making a statement. Like one of those cars that has 50 bumper stickers on it. The guy driving it thinks he is making a statement, but everyone else just thinks he's a moron.

Its hard enough for government to get anything done with two parties to negotiate with.

It will change eventually.Say America is in a real crisis worse than where we are at now.Both parties have lost the trust of the American people and the most popular politician in the United States makes a bold move to form a new party that will break away from the mistakes of the past.It's really just a PR stunt but if the moment was right it could easily happen.It happens in other countries all the time.Think about how crazy Perot was and how he still garnered a decent % of the vote as a 3rd party candidate.

See You In Toledo

BIRD33 Wrote:It will change eventually.Say America is in a real crisis worse than where we are at now.Both parties have lost the trust of the American people and the most popular politician in the United States makes a bold move to form a new party that will break away from the mistakes of the past.It's really just a PR stunt but if the moment was right it could easily happen.It happens in other countries all the time.Think about how crazy Perot was and how he still garnered a decent % of the vote as a 3rd party candidate.

Perot? Are you serious? Perot started off strong, I'll admit, but the further it got into the race the more credibility he lost. And he was basically financing himself. No one else is going to do that. And by the end of that race he was pretty much a laughing stock.

The problem is in raising money to run, not some "statement" you have to make. If you can't raise money you don't have a chance. And raising money is basically like making an investment. People donate to campaigns betting on the come that they will win. And in return that person expects something from their donation. Whether its a direct pork barrel project, or just their candidate's opinion on something that will affect them.

Even though a 3rd party candidate could come along that people might benefit from if he was elected, they are not going to donate if he has no chance of winning.

Flumper Barflusterbutt Wrote:Perot? Are you serious? Perot started off strong, I'll admit, but the further it got into the race the more credibility he lost. And he was basically financing himself. No one else is going to do that. And by the end of that race he was pretty much a laughing stock.

The problem is in raising money to run, not some "statement" you have to make. If you can't raise money you don't have a chance. And raising money is basically like making an investment. People donate to campaigns betting on the come that they will win. And in return that person expects something from their donation. Whether its a direct pork barrel project, or just their candidate's opinion on something that will affect them.

Even though a 3rd party candidate could come along that people might benefit from if he was elected, they are not going to donate if he has no chance of winning.

My point was that if even a crazy motherfucker like Perot can get 18% of the citizens of the united states that voted to vote for him why couldnt a credible 3rd party candidate do better?

Mitt Romney financed something over 35 million of his campaign with his personal money.Bloomburg paid for his mayoral campaign with his own cash.If you made 60 million annually and had to spend 150 million to be the most powerful person on earth would you do it?

There have been other parties besides democrats and republicans in the history of the united states and to say they will be the only two forever is shortsighted.

See You In Toledo

BIRD33 Wrote:My point was that if even a crazy motherfucker like Perot can get 18% of the citizens of the united states that voted to vote for him why couldnt a credible 3rd party candidate do better?

Mitt Romney financed something over 35 million of his campaign with his personal money.Bloomburg paid for his mayoral campaign with his own cash.If you made 60 million annually and had to spend 150 million to be the most powerful person on earth would you do it?

There have been other parties besides democrats and republicans in the history of the united states and to say they will be the only two forever is shortsighted.

Well, I don't mean "forever". I can see circumstances that it could change, but not in the foreseeable future and probably not in your lifetime. It would take a very powerful politician. One that people just are crazy about that has been split from his party over some major decision that has polarized voters to his side. Then he would either have to be personally wealthy like crazy or have some nutjobs like Perot and Buffet that are financing him.

I guess I could see ways that it could happen, but it would take a chain of circumstances all occurring at the same time.

BIRD33 Wrote:There have been other parties besides democrats and republicans in the history of the united states and to say they will be the only two forever is shortsighted.

Did you see the guy (Jeopardy whiz that won all that money several years ago) on Are you Smarter than a 5th Grader the other night?

He went all the way, won $500,000. Then had one decision to go for $1,000,000 or not. All he knew was the category was social studies. If he gets the question right he gets a Million, if he misses he drops to $25,000. He chose to take the $500,000 and run.

The question was "What political party did John Adams belong to when he ran for President?"

Flumper Barflusterbutt Wrote:Well, I don't mean "forever". I can see circumstances that it could change, but not in the foreseeable future and probably not in your lifetime. It would take a very powerful politician. One that people just are crazy about that has been split from his party over some major decision that has polarized voters to his side. Then he would either have to be personally wealthy like crazy or have some nutjobs like Perot and Buffet that are financing him.

I guess I could see ways that it could happen, but it would take a chain of circumstances all occurring at the same time.

8 years ago what would you have given better odds to.A 3rd party candidate winning the presidency or a black guy winning the presidency?

See You In Toledo

Flumper Barflusterbutt Wrote:Did you see the guy (Jeopardy whiz that won all that money several years ago) on Are you Smarter than a 5th Grader the other night?

He went all the way, won $500,000. Then had one decision to go for $1,000,000 or not. All he knew was the category was social studies. If he gets the question right he gets a Million, if he misses he drops to $25,000. He chose to take the $500,000 and run.

The question was "What political party did John Adams belong to when he ran for President?"

Without looking it up I'd say Whig.

What a smart motherfucker to take the cash.You know they probably are going to throw some crazy question to trip you up but I bet he would have got that one.

See You In Toledo

BIRD33 Wrote:Without looking it up I'd say Whig.

What a smart motherfucker to take the cash.You know they probably are going to throw some crazy question to trip you up but I bet he would have got that one.

Yeah, I wasn't watching the show but walked in and my wife was watching. She asked me the question and I said "Whig". She said "no, Federalist". And you guessed it, the Jeopardy guy (Ken Jennings) knew the answer. He said that he had just seen it somewhere or for some reason knew the answer.

Hey, speaking of that show, a few weeks ago some astronaut guy got to the million question and it was Math. So he went for it. Here's the question.

How many common factors do the numbers 28 and 32 have?

Was it Whig or Federalist?

I'm terrible at math so I won't even try that question.I'd imagine the astronaut should have got that since they are supposed to be able to make quick calculations while flying at a couple hundred miles an hour.

See You In Toledo

BIRD33 Wrote:Was it Whig or Federalist?

I'm terrible at math so I won't even try that question.I'd imagine the astronaut should have got that since they are supposed to be able to make quick calculations while flying at a couple hundred miles an hour.

It was Federalist. Jennings would have gotten it right.

The math question, I thought was simple. I said "1,2, and 4". So the answer was "3 common factors". The astronaut said, "Well, I know you can divide both by 2 and 4. And there aren't any others." So he locked in at "2 common factors". He was wrong.

I thought that was a pretty damn simple million dollar question. But I guess it is kind of a trick question.

I can't believe a 3rd grader is supposed to know that.I was busy playing with myself.

See You In Toledo

BIRD33 Wrote:I can't believe a 3rd grader is supposed to know that.I was busy playing with myself.

When I was in 2nd grade, each classroom had a small bathroom in the back of the class. We had a guy in our class named Kim Wayne Pool. He goes in the bathroom and when he comes out he throws open the door, his pants are down to his ankles and he has his shirt pulled up under his chin and he jumps out and says, "And out of the blue, comes Kim Wayne Pool. A ringer-dinger-dinger-dinger-dang". And the whole time he's got one hand on his penis flicking it up and down.

He must have been valedictorian.

I remember in 2nd grade our teacher was up front talking and all the sudden a big red blotch started to form on the front of her white skirt.When we pointed it out she left the room and went home.I remember someone saying she must have been shot and believing it.

See You In Toledo

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by who
06-11-2009, 09:24 AM
Last Post by who
06-07-2009, 10:40 AM
Last Post by who
10-03-2008, 07:25 AM