Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Election Year Economics

Okay, for those of you that don't know how the stock market works, here's your lesson:

1. If the Democrats appear to have an advantage and the mood of the country is that they will gain control of the white house in November, then the stock market will go down. And it appears that oil prices will go up.

2. If the Republicans appear to take that advantage and the mood is that they will maintain control of the white house in November, then the stock market will go up. And oil prices will go down.

Thanks.

now is a good time to invest

Anhil8tor Wrote:now is a good time to invest

seriously, election year stock markets are generally very bullish. but it appears that the market is not in favor of Obama. Whenever it appears he has the edge in the random polls being tossed around, the market falls. Lately McCain has taken an edge and everything is rising again.

Ridiculous.How was that stock market during the Clinton years?

If you think Mccain has the edge right now you arent really paying attention.

See You In Toledo

bush is on the edge...

of the cliff :d

BIRD33 Wrote:Ridiculous.How was that stock market during the Clinton years?

If you think Mccain has the edge right now you arent really paying attention.

I said "during AN election year". Like this year. Its just a fact of how the market works. Generally, stock markets do really well during election years.

But for some reason this year, when Obama is polling really well, the market drops.

And if you haven't been seeing the headlines this week about how Obama has lost ground, then you haven't been reading the papers.

Its like watching a horse race, if one horse is in the lead and is gaining speed, then he looks like a clear victor. However, if the lead horse seems to be losing ground, then things don't look so hot.

How were the stock markets doing during right before Clintons first election?If I had to guess I'd bet they were on the way up because an unpopular president was leaving office.

Losing ground on what issue?This is the first positive spin for Mccain in 6 months.It will not be a steamroll to victory.One week of somewhat negative press with no scandals means little in the grand scheme.Obama is going to force mccain to spend in states the GOP never had to and he will get a historically gop state to turn and thats huge.The economy will be the #1 issue on election day.Obama is better on that issue especially with mccain admitting he isnt knowledgable on it.

See You In Toledo

any idea why the media didn't cover jessie jackson dropping the n bomb on television? how much longer must we deal with reverse racism.

they did plenty around here. they don't in the south because everyone is used to hearing blacks and white drop the n-word.

I'll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours

Jackson was a major story up here as well.Maybe you should actually try reading a paper?

When will over privledged white guys stop trying to play the victim?

See You In Toledo

when will black people stop playing the racist card?

Here's something interesting. Want to guess what the DJIA was the year that Reagan was elected (1980)? I'm not pointing this out to be political or anything, just trying to put a time frame on what the market has done since that time.

a black guy called a radio show this morning. He said if you don't vote for Obama than you are either a racist or a nazi.

Anhil8tor Wrote:when will black people stop playing the racist card?
You regurlarly get screwed by blacks playing the race card?Is there some black only lane on the highways in your state?How is this even an issue for you?

See You In Toledo

Anhil8tor Wrote:a black guy called a radio show this morning. He said if you don't vote for Obama than you are either a racist or a nazi.

So that one black guy you heard on the radio is the spokesman for all black people or is that as close as you want to get to black people?

See You In Toledo

Flumper Barflusterbutt Wrote:Here's something interesting. Want to guess what the DJIA was the year that Reagan was elected (1980)? I'm not pointing this out to be political or anything, just trying to put a time frame on what the market has done since that time.

Thats interesting and I'd venture to guess it shot up most during the Clinton years.

What was the dow at in the run up to Bush Sr. vs. Clinton?That will prove or disprove your theory.

See You In Toledo

BIRD33 Wrote:Thats interesting and I'd venture to guess it shot up most during the Clinton years.

What was the dow at in the run up to Bush Sr. vs. Clinton?That will prove or disprove your theory.

Well, no doubt about it that the market had a huge run during Clinton's administration. But to answer your questions:

The DOW during the year that Clinton ran against Bush:

Jan 1992 = 3234
Jul 1992 = 3394
Nov 1992 = 3305

Not much happened that year, it kind of stalled. Which was blamed at the time on everyone's fear of having a Democrat making policy.

But, look at what it did during Clinton's 8 years.

Jan 2000 = 10,940. That was about a 7635 increase or 231%

That is probably the biggest run in the history of the DJIA during one administration.

Thats interesting.Surely the tech boom had a majority to do with it but it's a little odd that democrats still have the weaker rep on the economy considering.

See You In Toledo

Anhil8tor Wrote:when will black people stop playing the racist card?

when guys like you stop being racist bigots.

I'll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by leeman
12-31-2014, 02:40 PM
Last Post by snarg
01-12-2014, 03:29 AM
Last Post by who
01-07-2011, 09:30 PM