Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

MSN did a piece on the most overrated players in NBA history

Some that caught my eye...

Karl Malone
I've been on this guy's case many times before, and for the same reasons. He found various ways to choke in the 1996 Conference finals and in the 1997 and 1998 Finals — missed free throws, damaging turnovers, ill-advised shots, losing gambles on defense, and so on. In addition, his passing skills and his defense were both overblown, and his assist-turnover ration was a horrendous 5:4. There are only two reasons why Malone is deemed to be an elite power-forward — John Stockton, and longevity.

Pete Maravich
A one-man circus who wouldn't throw a pass unless it was behind the back or through the legs or in one ear and out the other. And his completion rate was barely above .500. His ball-hogging made him unpopular with his teammates, but scored big-time with the media. It's no accident that his teams were always pretenders and never contenders. It also says here that Maravich was the worst defender in NBA history.

David Robinson
This guy was a cream puff. He could come from the weak-side to block shots, but he couldn't guard his own man. He could rebound, but rarely in a crowd. He could score, but only on foul-line jumpers, or only if a defender bought a head fake after he drove his left hand into the middle. He couldn't pass or handle. He couldn't stand his ground in the paint. And, according to one of his ex-coaches, he never worked on his game in the off-season simply because he really didn't like playing basketball. Had he not played alongside of Tim Duncan, The Admiral would have been lost at sea.

Other notables on the list:

Charles Barkley
Gary Payton
Bob McAdoo
Elvin Hayes
Connie Hawkins
George Gervin
Patrick Ewing
Walt Bellamy

Malone-not overrated, look at his total Pts its no accident.
Marivich-not overrated, the guys a scorer, avg 40 some pts in college.
Robinson-not overrated,He was dominate in the early 90's
Barkley-Overrated in the sense that some people compare him to Bird but he couldnt hold his jock, oscar robertson would roll him.
Payton-overrated
Hayes-I dont know, he cant be that overrated,nobody talks about him
Hawkins-Overated,His numbers are ok
Gervin-not overrated,he was the dominique Wilkins of his time
Ewing,Overrated because he played for the Knicks.
Bellamy-See hayes.

See You In Toledo

BIRD33 Wrote:Malone-not overrated, look at his total Pts its no accident.
Marivich-not overrated, the guys a scorer, avg 40 some pts in college.
Robinson-not overrated,He was dominate in the early 90's
Barkley-Overrated in the sense that some people compare him to Bird but he couldnt hold his jock, oscar robertson would roll him.
Payton-overrated
Hayes-I dont know, he cant be that overrated,nobody talks about him
Hawkins-Overated,His numbers are ok
Gervin-not overrated,he was the dominique Wilkins of his time
Ewing,Overrated because he played for the Knicks.
Bellamy-See hayes.

i agree with you on malone.. he did it and did it well for a long time

maravich may be overrated as an NBAer because he was best known for what he did at LSU. he was a great college player. I have never heard anyone say he was an NBA hall of famer

Robinson to me wasn't overrated. I think shaq has changed the center postion so much because of his size and weight. Robinson was tall but he was no where near shaq's size.

barkley, payton and ewing were all overrated in my opinion. Barkley did a good job of marketing himself.. payton was never as good on D as he got credit for. Ewing was a media darling because of georgetown and the knicks.

Anhil8tor Wrote:i agree with you on malone.. he did it and did it well for a long time

maravich may be overrated as an NBAer because he was best known for what he did at LSU. he was a great college player. I have never heard anyone say he was an NBA hall of famer

Robinson to me wasn't overrated. I think shaq has changed the center postion so much because of his size and weight. Robinson was tall but he was no where near shaq's size.

barkley, payton and ewing were all overrated in my opinion. Barkley did a good job of marketing himself.. payton was never as good on D as he got credit for. Ewing was a media darling because of georgetown and the knicks.

He was good on D, but his O was never that special.

See You In Toledo

agreed with Bird...

I'll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours

BIRD33 Wrote:He was good on D, but his O was never that special.

He was good on D I don't doubt that... but even at his best he was overrated

you never saw connie hawkins play, did you??
not over-rated

also, hayes was an awesome player
ewing carried his team for years
and payton should not be judged on these last few yrs, in his prime he was a stud

I realise that I have a past to break with--an accumulation of inertia, wrong, foolishness, rot, junk.  A great need of clarification, of mindfulness, or rather, of no mind.  A need to return to genuine practice, right effort.  Need to push on the great doubt.  Need for the spirit.  Hang on to the clear light.

Thomas Merton

Payton was good back when he was a Sonic. After the 1996 Finals(?) he pretty much has gone down the shitter.

One part of the Trailer Trash Alliance

snarg Wrote:you never saw connie hawkins play, did you??
not over-rated

also, hayes was an awesome player
ewing carried his team for years
and payton should not be judged on these last few yrs, in his prime he was a stud

Ever heard of Espn classic?I have seen hawkins play.Ewing carried a franchise but they would have gone nowhere in the playoffs without Starks.

See You In Toledo

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Blondie
02-02-2009, 05:46 PM
Last Post by who
09-17-2008, 06:50 AM
Last Post by Anhil8tor
07-23-2008, 04:06 PM