Banana Wrote:'scuse me, but I get a nervous tic when people say things like this. My daughter goes to daycare. My son will too. And they will do so because we feel we give them the best life we can when we are both drawing an income and both pursuing careers we love. Different strokes, to be sure. But, we still consider ourselves accountable for our children. Children don't become your life. They become a part of your life. I value my career and I can do both - be a good parent and pursue a career.
Apologies for the offense. I know plenty of moms who are better moms because they go to work and pursue the careers that they love. Here's the thing. You made the decision, with your husband, to put the littles in daycare. You pay for daycare. I'm pretty sure that you don't get government assistance for said daycare. You took the responsibility to care for your children the best way you see fit, just like we have. You have made decisions accordingly, just like we have. You didn't ask the government to do it for you. In our financial situation, it just made financial sense for me to stay home. It would have cost us more to put them in daycare if I continued to work--and thankfully, I have the type of career that can be put on hold for a few years. Rest assured, however, that as soon as these kids are older and in school all day, my ass goes back to work--both because I want to and we need the income.
Totally different strokes, but we're both doing the same thing--taking responsibility for our children and our choices--and acting accordingly. Because that's our social and personal responsibility.
BIRD33 Wrote:I don't give a shit about your personal life.I get it.Everybody should be as hard working as you and your Ken.You set the rules on how long people need assistance because you can't see you being that lazy.Why can't those poor people and their children from broken homes walk a mile in your shoes?You are a house wife that probably calls into Glenn Beck to complain.No need to expand further, I think we understand each other.
You asked me a question about my personal life, so I answered.
So wait...poor people and their children from broken homes are allowed to be lazy for years on end and drain the system? It shouldn't work that way. They're given the assistance to help get them out of their current situation--not to keep them in it. Instead, they've chosen to stay sucking on the government's teat because it's easier--and why should they have to assume any responsibility when they've had a hard life? This is what liberals want them to do. Poor, poor victims. Here. I'll take care of you. Just vote the way I want you to when the elections come 'round, okay?
Banana Wrote:Government assisted programs are necessary. Are they abused? Yup. overused? Sure. Necessary? Absofuckinglutely. Consider for a second, the family who have say three children. Mom stays at home, dad goes to work at Subway and gets fired because he needs every Wednesday off to go to his AA meeting. Find another job? Not so fast. You have a criminal record? Ok, your job pool just got cut by 80%. Mom can't work. Old back injury. Takes all she has just to care for her children. Should those children starve just because you think "you had 'em, you feed em."?
'Scuse me, but I get a nervous tic when people say things like this. Mom had an old back injury. Wasn't so bad she couldn't lay on it and put her legs up in the air without contraception in place. Her choice. Dad decided to become an alcoholic? His choice--and the great thing about AA is that they have meetings 24 hours a day, so use another excuse--er, I mean, example. Has a criminal record? He made a choice to break the law. His decisions and lack of responsibility are now the problems of the taxpaying society? He also made the choice to put himself and his children into a situation they couldn't handle. Should those kids starve? No. But should we have to carry the burden of raising his family forever? No. Excuses only work for so long. I think JCW is right when she talks about better safety nets and whatnot. Forward progress needs to be made or we're doing everyone a serious disservice.