BIRD33 Wrote:Pretty much but as I've gotten older and you see the disparity between who is getting them and for what reasons its kind of a hard thing for me to reckon as a positive thing overall and I mean that in the long view sense of it.I'm not looking down on anyone who gets one and I support their right to do it but I know there has got to be a way we can get those numbers way down by education on protection or something.200 years from now we could look back on this as a major travesty perpetrated by a primitive people.
I'm against it.I guess the conservative side of me has a problem with an elected body murdering people for basically no gain.Thats the only problem I have with it and I do think there should be some exceptions like Bin Laden.If you can prove the guy 100% killed a huge number of people and the whole world will be in an uproar if he was allowed to live then I'm open for the debate on if he should die.I'd rather decide between if a guy like that should die over a guy who killed the cashier in a 7\11.I'm talking one execution every 50 years.
Interesting points.
I have heard people say if you are pro-life, you should be anti-capital punishment because a life is a life. My counter argument to this is that abortion is taking the life of a human being who has not had the chance at life, is completely defenseless, has done absolutely nothing wrong at all since it's creation, and has no understanding of right from wrong.
Capital punishment is taking the life of a human being who has had the chance at life, is partially defenseless (it can obviously fight for itself, but is in restraint by the government), has absolutely done wrong (severe enough to be put to death), and absolutely can understand the difference of right from wrong (the people who don't understand it are not put to death, they are institutionalized).
There's a counter argument to that ^ and it is that being pro-choice and anti-capital punshment is hypocritical because it argues that the life of the worst criminal is more valuable than an unborn child.
I fall somewhere in the middle on both issues. I am pro death penalty, but it's a mute point because we don't have it here. I do think it's better to put convicted killers to death than protect them and shelter them for 25 yeard (here).
For abortion, I would hate to take away all the rights of the woman, but I hate that the man has zero rights when it comes to this. I get so sick of the "my body, my choice" thing. Your body, your choice, and you chose to have sex and it has consequences. Does the father or the child have a choice? And yet, many pro-choicers don't give a fuck about that.