Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

shut up coach K?
#1

Duke Coach to Obama: Worry About the Economy, Not NCAA Picks

Reacting to news Obama picked North Carolina to win the NCAA Championship, Mike Krzyzewski says, "the economy is something that [the president] should focus on, probably more than the brackets."


Barack Obama picked North Carolina to defeat Louisville for the NCAA championship, a relatively safe selection for a trailblazing president.


Obama spent part of Tuesday making his tournament picks for ESPN, which posted his completed bracket online Wednesday and showed the First Fan filling it out with Andy Katz on the noon edition of "Sportscenter."


Of course, the president's choice drew a reaction from the Tar Heels' most intense rival.


"Somebody said that we're not in President Obama's Final Four, and as much as I respect what he's doing, really, the economy is something that he should focus on, probably more than the brackets," Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski said from the Blue Devils' first-round site in Greensboro, N.C.


The president had top-seeded Pittsburgh join the No. 1-seeded Tar Heels and Cardinals in the Final Four, but chose second-seeded Memphis to beat Connecticut in the West Regional.


"I think Memphis has got a very athletic team," Obama told Katz, an ESPN college basketball analyst. "I think they've got a good shot."


Perhaps showing some indecision, Obama initially had the Panthers playing Louisville for the national title in the file posted online. Pitt was scratched out of the title game in favor of North Carolina, which in turn replaced Louisville in the "champion" box.


"Here's what I like about Carolina: experience and balance," Obama said.


Familiarity, too. Obama played a pickup game with Tyler Hansbrough and the Tar Heels while campaigning in North Carolina last April.


"Now, for all the Tar Heels who are watching, I picked you last year — you let me down," Obama said.



"This year, don't embarrass me in front of the nation, all right? I'm counting on you. I still got those sneakers you guys gave me."


Katz interviewed Obama last October for a story about the president's brother-in-law, Oregon State basketball coach Craig Robinson. After the interview, Obama invited Katz to play in a pickup basketball game on Election Day in Chicago, and he did.


Katz extracted a promise from Obama that if elected, the new president would reveal his NCAA picks to ESPN when the pairings were announced in March.


"They stayed true to their word and didn't hesitate to get it done," Katz said.


Obama was brutally honest in assessing many of the teams, including Blake Griffin and second-seeded Oklahoma, which he has losing to Syracuse for a spot in the final eight.


"The problem with Oklahoma, they have the player of the year, but they play like, seven guys," Obama said. "I think you start getting worn down."


Among the other notable selections, Obama picked 10th-seeded Maryland to beat No. 7 seed California in the West Regional, fifth-seeded Florida State to make the round of 16, and No. 11 seed Virginia Commonwealth to beat UCLA.


Any chance the president slips away for a few minutes to see how his picks are doing when the tournament begins in earnest Thursday?


"I think the chances are pretty high," he said.

[Image: boston.jpg]
Reply
#2

Did Obama pick Pitt and UConn in the final 4 too?
Reply
#3

Memphis over UConn

[Image: boston.jpg]
Reply
#4

If you watched it on sportscenter last night you saw he spent less then 10 minutes doing this and you can't deny it was pretty cool and showed he was a regular guy.

K has always been on the GOP side.

See You In Toledo
Reply
#5

I definitely liked the fact that Obama did this.

[Image: boston.jpg]
Reply
#6

How bout him taking unscripted questions and criticisms at random from a crowd in a town hall last night?How does it feel to not have a president afraid of the people who elected him?

See You In Toledo
Reply
#7

i hate coach k more now

I'll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours
Reply
#8

Obama speaking directly to UNC at the end was hilarious.

See You In Toledo
Reply
#9

great I guess, but I'm more concerned about other stuff

[Image: boston.jpg]
Reply
#10

Anyone who thinks this is an excuse to give Obama shit for not working on the economy is a total douchebag.Bush went to bed at 10 the day of 9\11.

See You In Toledo
Reply
#11

coach K is officially a douchebag

[Image: boston.jpg]
Reply
#12

Not really.I'm 60\40 on cool to a little weird he did it.Plus he picked UNC so K can't like that.

See You In Toledo
Reply
#13

I have no problem that he did this. Its always good to show a human side to the most powerful leader of the free world.
Reply
#14

BIRD33 Wrote:showed he was a regular guy

As dimwitted as ever. Well done, boy
Reply
#15

He's still a putz.
Reply
#16

Yea he really showed that over the summer by bumbling his way to a gold medal.

See You In Toledo
Reply
#17

BIRD33 Wrote:Anyone who thinks this is an excuse to give Obama shit for not working on the economy is a total douchebag.Bush went to bed at 10 the day of 9\11.

I think its great that he takes the time to pick college basketball games on a sports show instead of finding people to fill out his economic team that is grossly understaffed during the worst economic crisis since the great depression. I just don't understand why he hates retarded children so much.
Reply
#18

Maybe he is having trouble finding more corrupt nominations? Give the guy a break.
Reply
#19

Anhil8tor Wrote:Maybe he is having trouble finding more corrupt nominations? Give the guy a break.

Yeah, I was laughing my ass off last night during his 60 minutes interview. The guy asked him why he has so many top level positions still unfilled, especially in his understaffed economic team. He said that he has asked a few people and they are turning him down because they don't want to go through the "scrutiny" of the nomination process.

In other words, they don't want the shit they've done wrong to be made public.

They also asked him why Warren Buffet was even critical of his economic decisions and he said that its because Warren Buffet basically "owns" Wells Fargo Bank and he wants the banks to get money and not have to pay it back.

He also said something that I thought was pretty much another blunder in poor taste. He said that every decision that he has to make is a tough one because only the tough ones get to his desk. He said that if they were easy decisions then someone "lower on the food chain" would make them.

Lower on the food chain? I hope the people that work for him took that the right way. At least they aren't in the special olympics, if that's any help.
Reply
#20

You guys look like such idiots.Not even worthy of debate.Stock markets going up if you havent noticed.

P.S.

The biggest guy to drop out because of scrutiny was a republican.

See You In Toledo
Reply


Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by CT280
01-29-2010, 11:26 PM
Last Post by who
04-17-2009, 07:48 PM
Last Post by WoolyGoat
03-27-2009, 04:01 PM
Last Post by BIRD33
10-21-2008, 04:36 PM
Last Post by Sassy
08-05-2008, 07:59 PM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)