Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Hey 8! Bill Walsh Died.
#21

BIRD33 Wrote:A patriots fan calling someone a frontrunner, hilarious.
If no one here cared about football, the Pats would be in Connecticut right now.

As for myself, I've followed them since I was 6. Through the Super Bowl debacle, through the pre-Bledsoe years, through the Bledsoe/Martin years, and now the Brady era. They were the worst franchise in sports for most of my childhood, and not once did I put on a Cowboys or 9ers hat. Thanks.

[Image: boston.jpg]
Reply
#22

WoolyGoat Wrote:If no one here cared about football, the Pats would be in Connecticut right now.

As for myself, I've followed them since I was 6. Through the Super Bowl debacle, through the pre-Bledsoe years, through the Bledsoe/Martin years, and now the Brady era. They were the worst franchise in sports for most of my childhood, and not once did I put on a Cowboys or 9ers hat. Thanks.

Congrats on not having your team leave the major metropolitan area they were based in.Thats a real accomplishment.I kind of remember a lot of blackouts for the Patriots because of not enough ticket sales, you guys are real hardcore fans.The Eagles still sold out during the Rich Kotite era.

See You In Toledo
Reply
#23

The Eagles were good when Kotite was there.

[Image: boston.jpg]
Reply
#24

Define "good".That was Buddy Ryans team crumbling.We sold out during the Ray Rhodes era as well.

See You In Toledo
Reply
#25

Question:Would a majority of NE sport fans trade all the Brady Superbowl wins for Red Sox World Series rings?I bet they would.

See You In Toledo
Reply
#26

pre-2004, probably. Right now? No.

[Image: boston.jpg]
Reply
#27

WoolyGoat Wrote:If no one here cared about football, the Pats would be in Connecticut right now.

As for myself, I've followed them since I was 6. Through the Super Bowl debacle, through the pre-Bledsoe years, through the Bledsoe/Martin years, and now the Brady era. They were the worst franchise in sports for most of my childhood, and not once did I put on a Cowboys or 9ers hat. Thanks.

and i've never worn anything but a SF hat. So because I have a team two hours away I have to be a saints fan or I'll never be a true fan? So what happens today if I put on a saints cap from now on? Will I be a true fan finally? What about fans here that pull for the cowboys because the saints weren't here when they were young? Are they true fans?

I'm guessing because I've pulled for the penguins for the same amount of time I'm not a true penguins fan right? What hockey team would I have had to pull for being dallas just got here a few years ago?

Thanks for the help...
Reply
#28

Anhil8tor Wrote:and i've never worn anything but a SF hat. So because I have a team two hours away I have to be a saints fan or I'll never be a true fan? So what happens today if I put on a saints cap from now on? Will I be a true fan finally? What about fans here that pull for the cowboys because the saints weren't here when they were young? Are they true fans?

I'm guessing because I've pulled for the penguins for the same amount of time I'm not a true penguins fan right? What hockey team would I have had to pull for being dallas just got here a few years ago?

Thanks for the help...

For the record I think you're both frontrunners.8 I was a niner fan as a kid because of Montana and they were always winning but I had to love the eagles or I would have been beaten up on a daily basis which would have been appropriate.You not rooting for the Saints is plain weird.When people ask you "You a saints fan?" and you say "No, a 49ers fan" every person thinks to themselves "ok...you frontrunning wack job" but going to the saints now would put you in the frontrunning sellout catagory.Rooting for the guins in hockey because they had lemeiux back in the day is frontrunning but acceptable because you have no home town team.I agree there is no going back and the only thing that will erase your frontrunner status is time.

See You In Toledo
Reply
#29

Explain to me how I'm a frontrunner?

ftr - I went to a Celtics game last year.

[Image: boston.jpg]
Reply
#30

Pats fans in general who didnt support the team when they sucked(blackouts) are frontrunners.Whats the ratio of Sox hat's worn to Pat's hats worn in Boston?25 to 1?Its a baseball town first and only a football town when your winning.

See You In Toledo
Reply
#31

How about me being a celts fan? am I a front runner now that we have the hornets? what about old school basketball fans from new orleans that still pull for the jazz? would they be sellouts now?

I have no problem being considered a front runner. I'd rather be a front runner than a band wagoneer. Its kinda funny.. chef has had season tickets to the saints for 15 years now. I always get the 9ers game if they play in new orleans. Three years ago chef couldn't give away his tickets... now they have people calling year round for seats. Saint fans are the biggest wagoners ever. This is only the second year in the history of the franchise that they have sold out via season ticket holders... fuck'em
Reply
#32

BIRD33 Wrote:Pats fans in general who didnt support the team when they sucked(blackouts) are frontrunners.Whats the ratio of Sox hat's worn to Pat's hats worn in Boston?25 to 1?Its a baseball town first and only a football town when your winning.
I'll be the first to admit that it's a baseball town, but that "ratio" is a lot lower than you think. The only sad thing is that the number of pink Sox and Pats hats has skyrocketed in recent years.

There are so many historic franchises here, the natural ebb and flow of winning and losing dictates who is the most popular at any given time. For years the Patriots were the ugly duckling of the Boston sports scene, part because they were terrible but part because the Sox, Celtics, and Bruins were all so damn good. In the early 70s the Bruins were the toughest ticket in town. In the 80s it was the Celtics. The 90s were kind of a no man's land until the Pats landed Bledsoe and fans had something to root for.

The fans were always there, it's just that not everyone is a superfan like me. When there are so many options from which to choose, someone always gets left out in the cold.

My only bandwagon admission is Florida State football, and that was part luck anyway. My grandparents moved there in '92 and sent me an FSU hat back. I started following them, and Charlie Ward did the rest.

[Image: boston.jpg]
Reply
#33

If you don't have a home town pro team (coughhicktowncough) to root for its not frontrunning as long as you don't switch teams unless a team starts up in your town which at that point its acceptable to switch to the hometown team.So it was written so it shall be done.

See You In Toledo
Reply
#34

WoolyGoat Wrote:I'll be the first to admit that it's a baseball town, but that "ratio" is a lot lower than you think. The only sad thing is that the number of pink Sox and Pats hats has skyrocketed in recent years.

There are so many historic franchises here, the natural ebb and flow of winning and losing dictates who is the most popular at any given time. For years the Patriots were the ugly duckling of the Boston sports scene, part because they were terrible but part because the Sox, Celtics, and Bruins were all so damn good. In the early 70s the Bruins were the toughest ticket in town. In the 80s it was the Celtics. The 90s were kind of a no man's land until the Pats landed Bledsoe and fans had something to root for.

The fans were always there, it's just that not everyone is a superfan like me. When there are so many options from which to choose, someone always gets left out in the cold.

My only bandwagon admission is Florida State football, and that was part luck anyway. My grandparents moved there in '92 and sent me an FSU hat back. I started following them, and Charlie Ward did the rest.

Pats go 0-16 the year after brady retires..Do the pats sellout still?I'd say hell no.Thats frontrunning.

See You In Toledo
Reply
#35

BIRD33 Wrote:Pats go 0-16 the year after brady retires..Do the pats sellout still?I'd say hell no.Thats frontrunning.
And Fenway was empty in the early 90s. What's your point?

[Image: boston.jpg]
Reply
#36

How empty was fenway?

See You In Toledo
Reply
#37

BIRD33 Wrote:How empty was fenway?
Very? I'm not sure what kind of answer you're looking for here.

If the product ain't worth the (insanely high) price of admission, people won't go. That's business.

[Image: boston.jpg]
Reply


Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Divertexas
06-22-2021, 09:25 PM
Last Post by ncbiker
08-01-2014, 02:42 AM
Last Post by minorthreat
02-19-2010, 01:54 AM
Last Post by CT280
02-11-2010, 01:04 AM
Last Post by who
11-15-2009, 01:44 PM
Last Post by WoolyGoat
08-25-2009, 03:12 PM
Last Post by BIRD33
08-07-2009, 04:01 PM
Last Post by PinesChic
05-23-2009, 12:53 AM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)