Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Live 8 comes to Philadelphia July 2
#1

Live 8 Concert Coming to Philadelphia July 2, 2005

[Image: philadelphia.gif]From John Fischer,
Your Guide to Greater Philadelphia / South Jersey.
FREE Newsletter. Sign Up Now!

P. Diddy, Bon Jovi, Will Smith, Stevie Wonder and Others Scheduled to Appear

The American portion of Bob Geldof’s Live 8 charity concert to raise awareness for African famine and debt relief is to be held July 2 in Philadelphia at the foot of the Philadelphia Museum of Art on the Benjamin Franklin Parkway.



The name "Live 8" was chosen as a reference to the G-8 summit, a meeting of the world's leading economic powers which will take place at Gleneagles, Perthshire, Scotland from July 6-8, 2005. Twenty years ago Geldof organized the Live Aid concerts in London and Philadelphia, and has continue to encourage the world's wealthiest countries to do more to fight famine and poverty in Africa. The name and timing of the 2005 concerts is intended to continue that pressure on the G-8 nations.

The July 13th, 1985 concert was held at the former JFK Stadium in South Philadelphia and included such stars as Mick Jagger, Madonna, and Tina Turner. That concert is reported to have raised at least $80 million for African relief.

The Philadelphia Live 8 Concert will be held in conjunction with other concerts at London’s Hyde Park as well as near the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin, the Eiffel Tower in Paris and the Circus Maximus in Rome.

The following performers have been named as participating in the Philadelphia concert:
  • Will Smith (Host)
  • Bon Jovi
  • Dave Matthews Band
  • Destiny's Child
  • Il Divo
  • Jay-Z
  • Kaiser Chiefs
  • Keith Urban
  • Linkin Park
  • Maroon 5
  • P. Diddy
  • Rob Thomas
  • Sarah MacLachlan
  • Stevie Wonder
Information on Online, TV, Radio and Satelite Broadcasts of Live 8.

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.
Reply
#2

How 'bout them Phillies?
Reply
#3

then July 4th a free concert with Sir Elton John, at the Art Museum

http://www.aolcityguide.com/philadelphia...0000000001


i don't think we'll be going anywhere near the city....anyone coming into town for any of this?

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.
Reply
#4

TomFoolery Wrote:How 'bout them Phillies?

Phils stage big rally, but lose finale
06/26/2005 7:34 PM ET
By Ken Mandel / MLB.com

PHILADELPHIA -- Brett Myers blamed the umpire. Rheal Cormier blamed the ballpark. Mike Lieberthal and Rich Dubee blamed Myers.


The blame added up to a 12-8 loss to Boston at Citizens Bank Park on Sunday, providing a negative jolt of electricity to what could have been an impressive comeback from being down, 8-1. Instead, it ended a 1-5 homestand.

The Red Sox are defending World Series champions for a reason.

"We're frustrated," said manager Charlie Manuel, who was ejected in the fifth inning by home plate umpire Gary Darling for arguing a call. "I felt like we definitely stayed after it and caught them, then they tacked on runs. Give Boston credit. They have a tremendous hitting ballclub and they're hot."

Boston has 12 wins in its past 13 games, the definition of scorching. The Phillies, meanwhile, would up being outscored, 27-9, in the three-game set. Philadelphia is 3-9 in its past 12 games following a 12-1 homestand.

"This is a tough time for us," said Bobby Abreu, who contributed four hits and three RBIs. "We made a lot of mistakes the last three games. It's not a happy time. We can play better. The last homestand was great. This one was not great. We have to forget about it and move on."

Myers was unhappy with Darling for his tight strike zone. Frustrated because he was constantly behind in the count, Myers threw a few hittable pitches to Boston's powerful lineup.

"The plate didn't have any corners today," Myers said. "I was throwing strikes, in my opinion, a good fastball with command. It's just when you think it's there and have to adjust over the plate. Against that team over there, it's something you can't do. It's a tough way to pitch when your behind 1-0 or 2-0 every time."

A memorable hit allowed by Myers was a grand slam over the right-field fence by Manny Ramirez, which capped a five-run fourth inning. No one, including Ramirez, thought it was a home run.

"I couldn't believe it," Myers said. "Bobby looked like he was camped underneath it and all of the sudden it's in the seats. I thought I was out of the inning. I had the bases loaded and thought I made a good pitch."

Lieberthal and Dubee disagreed with Myers' self-evaluation. While they thought some of the pitches could have been called, the feeling is that Myers lost some of the aggressiveness that made him dominating out of the gate. His previous two outings were his two shortest of the season, and he's 1-3 with a 6.34 ERA in his past six starts.

"He was more out of the zone [Sunday], falling behind with that fastball," said Lieberthal. "He did it in his last start. His velocity was a little down early, even though he threw a few pitches hard. His curveball was high. The ball was coming out of his hand wrong and everything wasn't as sharp. Even his cutter wasn't as sharp.

"I couldn't believe it. Bobby looked like he was camped underneath it and all of the sudden it's in the seats. I thought I was out of the inning. I had the bases loaded and thought I made a good pitch." -- Brett Myers on Manny Ramirez's grand slam

"It's definitely a concern. It's not like he's the same Brett and they're hitting good pitches, or he's having bad luck. They're hitting the ball hard. Maybe hitters are watching how he's pitching. They see a lot of video on him, so I think they have a better feel off him. You have to adjust daily. That's with every pitcher."

As for Myers' contention that Darling has a tight zone, Lieberthal said, "I would never make that excuse. The umpire probably did miss two, three pitches. That's not 10, 15."

Added Dubee: "He threw nine of 23 first-pitch strikes, which isn't going to make you very effective, especially against that club. The last couple of times his command hasn't been very good, and usually Brett has good command. He's got to get back to pitching ahead and using all of his pitches and controlling the situation instead of letting the situation control him."

Abreu put the Phillies on the board with a solo homer in the fourth, and Philadelphia scored four in the fifth to make it 8-5, highlighted by Pat Burrell's two-run blast. The comeback was complete with a three-run rally in the seventh, with Jim Thome's sacrifice fly evening the score.

Rheal Cormier (2-2) squandered the momentum by allowing four runs in the eighth inning. He allowed three straight hits to start the inning, a bunt single by Johnny Damon, an RBI double by Mark Bellhorn and an infield single by David Ortiz.

Ramirez's sacrifice fly provided the second run, and Jason Varitek iced it with a two-out, two-run homer -- another Citizens Bank Park special.

"Any fly ball that is hit, you pray that it stays in," Cormier said. "As you guys know, this is not the easiest place to pitch. There's no room in the alleys where you can work. There's no place you can work guys where they will hit it for an out. It's very small."

Cormier also had issue with his pitching. "I had a bad game," he said. "I'm frustrated personally. Nobody wants to go out there and give up the lead. I have to shake it off. I'm not a happy camper. When we tied up the game, I wanted to go out there and have a clean inning."

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.
Reply
#5

Fairiedust Wrote:i don't think we'll be going anywhere near the city....anyone coming into town for any of this?
I'd rather snack on bite sized herpes scabs while soaking in a jacuzzi filled with elephant piss.
Reply
#6

Dr. Lecter Wrote:I'd rather snack on bite sized herpes scabs while soaking in a jacuzzi filled with elephant piss.

Wont you tell us your true feelings?

apple Wrote:Aww, but mich, its only a 22 year age difference, I'm still legal :broken:

Bill Wrote:The pool is frozen like Tom Foolery's Saturday night date's snatch.

pineschic Wrote:comon' over here big boy (Vita E).. I'll warm you right up. lol
Reply
#7

I'll take that as a 2nd for not going near Philthadelphia

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.
Reply
#8

but the crack dealers are soo polite in downtown philly....
Reply
#9

Bill Wrote:but the crack dealers are soo polite in downtown philly....


is that where you get yours...i always pictured you as guy who headed into Chester/Marcus Hook area....

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.
Reply
#10

That must be the Token 8 that they came up with when the realized the rest of the 8's were Lilly.

I know what you're thinking now. You think we're all gay, don't you? Think we're all just a bunch of deviant lifestyle-living same-sex having motherfuckers, am I right?


Reply
#11

The lineup blows but it will be hot chick central so I will be there.

See You In Toledo
Reply
#12

Dr. Lecter Wrote:I'd rather snack on bite sized herpes scabs while soaking in a jacuzzi filled with elephant piss.

$$$$$$$$$$$$

I'll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours
Reply


Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Sassy
01-27-2009, 08:30 PM
Last Post by Jimmy
09-11-2008, 06:48 PM
Last Post by Sassy
07-02-2008, 07:43 PM
Last Post by Sassy
04-11-2008, 07:30 PM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)