Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

I'm eating Apple.
#61

What medication are you taking? It's sometimes hard to fit the right for for that disorder.....

Insert clever, witty and amusing signature here.
Reply
#62

BIRD33 Wrote:so you notice a marked difference when you are on the medication?

Medication, group and individual therapy & DBT
Reply
#63

Cucumber Wrote:What medication are you taking? It's sometimes hard to fit the right for for that disorder.....

Lexapro, Lamictal & Seroquel
Reply
#64

Good for you for facing up to that.I'm the type to assume thats just the way I am and not get treated which probably wouldnt be good.

See You In Toledo
Reply
#65

And Buspar as needed
Reply
#66

BIRD33 Wrote:Good for you for facing up to that.I'm the type to assume thats just the way I am and not get treated which probably wouldnt be good.

Thank you. I did that for a long time and it basically comes down to not wanting to live that way anymore and I really only had 2 choices- die or get help.
Reply
#67

BIRD33 Wrote:Good for you for facing up to that.I'm the type to assume thats just the way I am and not get treated which probably wouldnt be good.

Many people assume that mental illnesses are not as valid (or treatable) as physical illnesses.

One of the reasons I talk openly about my mom's suicide is that she was just as ill as my grandfather and grandmother were with cancer. I watched my mom die for years.

Insert clever, witty and amusing signature here.
Reply
#68

Cucumber Wrote:Many people assume that mental illnesses are not as valid (or treatable) as physical illnesses.

One of the reasons I talk openly about my mom's suicide is that she was just as ill as my grandfather and grandmother were with cancer. I watched my mom die for years.

There is definitely still stigmas attached to mental illness. Granted, I think it has gotten better, but I do know this much- I wouldn't tell my employer I had BPD.
Reply
#69

My mom hasn't been well for a long time now. 8.2 realized it about a year ago. Its tough going over there but you have to do what you have to do.
Reply
#70

Anhil8tor Wrote:My mom hasn't been well for a long time now. 8.2 realized it about a year ago. Its tough going over there but you have to do what you have to do.

Is she getting help for her problems?
Reply
#71

bam Wrote:There is definitely still stigmas attached to mental illness. Granted, I think it has gotten better, but I do know this much- I wouldn't tell my employer I had BPD.

Nor should you have to. One of the things I have to deal with all the time is disclosure. When I place clients in a job, it's a tough decision between not telling the employer because of the stigma and telling the employer because the client's illness is just as valid as being in a wheelchair (if the client;'s illness requires some accommodations for employment, that is).

Insert clever, witty and amusing signature here.
Reply
#72

Cucumber Wrote:Nor should you have to. One of the things I have to deal with all the time is disclosure. When I place clients in a job, it's a tough decision between not telling the employer because of the stigma and telling the employer because the client's illness is just as valid as being in a wheelchair (if the client;'s illness requires some accommodations for employment, that is).

I drive almost an hour away for therapy because I found someone with experience with BPD who takes my insurance who has evening hours- all because I didn't want to have to explain anything to my employer if I had appointments during the day.
Reply
#73

bam Wrote:I drive almost an hour away for therapy because I found someone with experience with BPD who takes my insurance who has evening hours- all because I didn't want to have to explain anything to my employer if I had appointments during the day.

And that's a pretty sad state of affairs isn't it?

Insert clever, witty and amusing signature here.
Reply
#74

We're all mentally ill in some respect.

See You In Toledo
Reply
#75

Cucumber Wrote:And that's a pretty sad state of affairs isn't it?

Yeah, it is. Doing the work you do, you understand, but a lot of people who don't understand would just be like "snap out of it and move on." And it's not that easy. If I weren't in therapy, I don't know what I'd do but again, I have to go out of the way to make sure my employer doesn't know about it so that I don't face any type of retaliation.
Reply
#76

BIRD33 Wrote:We're all mentally ill in some respect.

Not clinically though.

Insert clever, witty and amusing signature here.
Reply
#77

bam Wrote:Is she getting help for her problems?

There really isn't any help...
Reply
#78

Anhil8tor Wrote:There really isn't any help...

Can I ask what's going on with her? If you don't feel like discussing it, just tell me to fuck off
Reply
#79

Cucumber Wrote:Not clinically though.

Does clinically mean you are taking medication for it?If everyone sat down with a doctor and explained all their problems a doc could find a mental illness to go with that even if it was just a mild form of it.

See You In Toledo
Reply
#80

bam Wrote:Yeah, it is. Doing the work you do, you understand, but a lot of people who don't understand would just be like "snap out of it and move on." And it's not that easy. If I weren't in therapy, I don't know what I'd do but again, I have to go out of the way to make sure my employer doesn't know about it so that I don't face any type of retaliation.

Well, it's illegal for them to do anything, but I get what you are saying. You'd face a battle-exactly what you don't need. It might be better here than in your state, but there is not a lot of room for movement on the Duty to Acoommodate here in Alberta. An employer would get brought before the Human Rights Commission if there was any suggestion that someone was let go or not hired for a mental illness.

Insert clever, witty and amusing signature here.
Reply


Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by BIRD33
12-24-2009, 08:54 PM
Last Post by PinesChic
02-26-2009, 02:27 AM
Last Post by Vitamin E
01-20-2009, 09:13 PM
Last Post by Pickle
11-14-2008, 01:13 AM
Last Post by snarg
11-04-2008, 10:00 PM
Last Post by Banana
11-04-2008, 12:09 AM
Last Post by ntype
08-31-2007, 01:24 PM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)