02-12-2008, 05:58 PM
ntype Wrote:well I wasn't attacking america, meanwhile I was in the US I did had some healthy food (who was quite expensive gotta admit) meanwhile the McDonald's and co cost you a dime.
I was therefore impressed by the meal portions..gotta admit that they were larger than around here (that was quite pleasant for the steak)
All joking aside, unfortunately we (Americans) have become a nation of overweight people. We eat way to much fast food and processed foods, we eat it on the run, we eat at odd times of the day and for the most part, don't exercise. Most people have desk jobs and we (I use "we" broadly) sit at those desks for 8+ hours a day, snacking, drinking sodas and planning our next meal!
My kids pediatrician told me a few years ago that the number of kids under 10 with high colesteral (sp) has sky rocketed in the last 15 years. That's just unacceptable. When I was growing up (I'm 45) my mom or dad cooked dinner every night of the week until I was in my teens and we started eating out on Friday nights to give my mom a break. And by cooking dinner, I mean an entree and a couple of veggies...not frozen foods heated up. Fast food was a rare treat and usually only if we were on the road to save time. Even then my mom usually packed sandwiches for us to eat.
Now days I think it's almost opposite with fast foods, take out and quick meals almost every night of the week and a "home cooked" meal is the rare treat. Oh, I know this isn't the case in every home, but I bet most families pick up fast food or get pizza delivered 3 out of 7 days a week.
*steps off soapbox*

